Did you know that there are 1000+ postdocs at Harvard Medical School (HMS) and the Harvard School of Dental Medicine (HSDM)? When the affiliate hospitals and research institutions in the Longwood Medical Area are included, we number over 5000! Together, we are the major drivers of the biomedical research enterprise and, as such, we can be each other’s best resource.
The goal of the Harvard Medical Postdoc Association (HMPA) is to unite postdocs in their common interests and shared concerns in order to improve the postdoctoral experience at HMS and HSDM. To achieve this goal, the HMPA works to:
- connect postdocs to one another through mailing lists and in-person events
- inform postdocs about intramural and extramural resources
- create opportunities for career development and networking
- build a sense of community amongst postdocs
- serve as a voice for postdocs.
We encourage you to take advantage of what the HMPA offers by exploring our new website, joining our mailing lists, and attending our events. Our governing board of volunteer postdocs works hard to make a difference, and we are always open to new members and new ideas.
I look forward to what we can accomplish together!
Rosa Martinez Corral, Ph.D.
Chair, Governing Board for 2020-2021
Have you recently published your scientific work in well-reputed journals?
Do you want your work to be highlighted and attract more attentions?
Do you want your paper to be celebrated in our newsletter/ on our social media?
Do you want to explore the opportunity to win an award for presenting your work?
The professional development committee invites you to sign up here. After an eligibility screening, we will select publications with high impact on biomedical science and clinical practice.
Rules for eligibility:
- You must be the first author or one of the co-first authors of this publication;
- You must be a postdoc at HMS / HSDM / HSPH and HMS-affiliated hospitals;
- Your paper should be published within the last 6 months, at the time of submission.
- Your paper will be promoted on our website.
- Our social media, e.g., Twitter / Facebook / Instagram, will share and promote your work.
- All first authors of the selected publications will be given a chance to present the work as an academic talk .
The best presentations will be evaluated by professors from the related field, and will be awarded.
We look forward to receiving your submissions, and sharing your work within the HMS postdoc community!
Michael Schappe, Ph.D.
Chair, Professional Development 2020-2021
The HMS/HSDM Office for Postdoctoral Fellows works to enhance the development and experience of the postdoctoral community. Through a combination of administrative initiatives and educational activities, the HMS/HSDM Office for Postdoctoral Fellows actively assists postdoctoral fellows in obtaining the skills necessary to pursue both academic and non-traditional careers in science and beyond. By supplementing the training received in the laboratory with career development guidance and ancillary research skills instruction, the office seeks to maintain the institutional reputation of recruiting and training the best biomedical researchers and scientific leaders of tomorrow.